Wednesday 27 October 2010

BBC Narnia

I watched this when I was small and I absolutely loved it and still do (the remake can only be described as complete and utter shite). It goes to show what the BBC really can do if it steps down from its pillar of righteousness and does what it is supposed to: provide a public service and not a public re-indoctrination. That tune is probably one of the finest ever written in my opinion, and one does not have to play it twice to bring tears to my eyes.

BBC Narnia was a proper public service, and I for one dearly thank them for it. They made it into an adventure; they followed in the steps of Lewis' imagination with no CGI but by the strength of their creativity. There probably are hidden leftist messages in the series but they are so subtle that I never picked them up at least. I can only hope that this was because the producer thought it inappropriate for children to be tainted by the distasteful intellectual-political battles we still fight today.


“…But I cannot tell that to this old sinner, and I cannot comfort him either; he has made himself unable to hear my voice. If I spoke to him, he would hear only growlings and roarings. Oh Adam's sons, how cleverly you defend yourselves against all that might do you good! But I will give him the only gift he is still able to receive.”
He bowed his great head rather sadly, and breathed into the Magician's terrified face. “Sleep,” he said. “Sleep and be separated for some few hours from all the torments you have devised for yourself.”
The Magician’s Nephew – Chapter 14

Don't ever grow up.

No comments: